Adventures of an aspiring biologist in a little island called Taiwan.

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Arácnidos

So...lately there has been these storms passing by the island...probably some remnants of typhoons that seem to pass through here, bringing with them brief but intense showers...! So much water, that the soil can no longer absorb the rainwater and therefore there were lots of flooded areas.

This, in turn, can't help but make me think that a few animals...insects among them...have no other choice than to search for land and safe spots nearest them! This is a logical explanation to why the hell I've been surrounded by spiders these days!

This Monday, I was trying to get some shuteye...40 mins into my sleep, I feel something of considerable weight drop on my neck and quickly run off! I wake up and try to get it off me, but  there was nothing in sight. But on closer inspection of the room...I find a spider the size of my fist on the wall! Big, black, dark...and its legs were unnaturally long...!

I had completely taken their warnings for granted, because earlier that day there was this white spider of the same size outside the window...I took my time to observe it, and probably tap on the pane once or twice. It seemed that they were determined to have me out of there...and it worked...! After I found a third spider of the same size, I was not about to take my chances that evening.

I had tried to get rid of them, but I had no repellent or insecticide around...and they didn't sell anywhere near. The person in charge of the dormitories nowhere to be seen, and the only advice I got was..."Usa una escoba! (use a broom!)"...Which I did...but the spiders were so fast! And they jumped all over the place!!! They finally got into narrow places I couldn't reach...and I gave up...I couldn't stay the night being all stressed out that another one of them would land on my face again!

Now, things are ok-ish...There is another one at the window, and has been there for 3 days...I'm guessing it'll starve soon...I just hope it won't break in! And the others are not in sight...but I know they're around...here...somewhere.......!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment